FREE Lifestyle Festival in Solvang During Amgen Tour of California on Friday, May 20, 2011
~New Features for 2011 are Michelob Ultra Beer Garden with Live Music AND Taste 6 Wine Garden
Solvang, California— On Friday, May 20, 2011, the individual time trial (stage 6) of the Amgen Tour of California will be held in Solvang for the fourth time in the six-year history of this professional cycling race. After hosting the time trial in 2007, 2008 and 2009, the city is proud to welcome the Tour back to the “Danish Capital of America.” One of the popular activities of Race Day is the FREE Lifestyle Festival, which gives cycling enthusiasts a place to experience race-day festivities within steps of the Solvang Time Trial Start Line on Mission Drive and First Street and the Finish Line just one block away on Copenhagen Drive and First Street.
The Lifestyle Festival in Solvang Park from 10:00am-4:30pm offers a unique experience including:
- Learn bicycle safety and enjoy great bargains on gear, gadgets and more in the Cycling Center
- Collect free items from Amgen Tour of California sponsors and participating companies
- Get physical with health and fitness tests at the Health & Fitness Expo
- Be a part of Amgen’s Breakaway from Cancer® initiative, raising awareness of the important program and services offered by the National Coalition for Cancer Survivorship, Patient Advocate Foundation, Prevent Cancer Foundation and The Wellness Community
- Purchase race merchandise and commemorative programs in the Race Central Pavilion
- Stay connected with fellow fans and the day's race action with live coverage on the big-screen televisions located in Solvang Park and on Copenhagen Drive & Second Street.
For the first time this year in Solvang, for adults, there will be the Michelob Ultra Beer Garden featuring a stage with free live entertainment from area bands on Second Street. Admission to the beer garden is free and beer will be sold by-the-cup by local volunteers. And, there will be the new Taste 6 Wine Garden in Solvang Park, where adults can enjoy six tastes of premium local wines for $10. Tickets can be purchased on-site at the Wine Garden entrance. Proceeds from both the Beer and Wine Gardens are helping fund costs of hosting the race in Solvang.
ABOUT: The 2011Amgen Tour of California presented by AEG is an 800-mile, eight-day stage race, considered to be the most important and popular race held on U.S. soil, taking the world’s top professional cycling teams from Lake Tahoe to Los Angeles from May 15-22, 2011. For general info visit www.amgentourofcalifornia.com or details about Solvang‘s Stage 6 Time Trial activities, visit www.tourofcalifornia-solvang.com